Horizon Power Selects Itron to Deploy Multi-Application
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) - Connectivity Platforms
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) - Device Management Platforms
- Electrical Grids
- Business Operation
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
Horizon Power had been using traditional card-based prepayment meters to assist customers in remote communities to manage their electricity costs and avoid accumulating debts. The solution worked well until the prepayment meters that had been installed stopped being manufactured. Horizon Power also had to respond to a revised regulatory code of conduct for the supply of electricity to residential customers, which made significant changes to the provision of prepayment.
The major changes included restrictions on disconnection hours as well as a requirement to be able to supply customers with data on their total energy consumption, as well as their average daily consumption and charges for the previous two years.
Horizon Power is a commercially focused, state government-owned, power company that provides power supplies to Western Australia. It is responsible for generating, procuring, distributing, and retailing electricity to residential, industrial, and commercial customers and resource developments in its service area.
Horizon Power was established in 2006 during reforms to Western Australia's electricity sector. They operate in the Pilbara, Kimberley, Gascoyne/ Mid-West, and the Southern Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. Horizon Power’s head office is based in Karratha with regional offices in Broome, Kununurra, Carnarvon, Esperance, and Port Hedland, and administrative support is delivered from Perth.
- Horizon Power also chose SmartGridCIS, a US-based company specializing in smart prepaid billing solutions, to deploy alongside Horizon’s existing CIS in order to provide all the functionality needed to manage the prepayment customers’ accounts.
- Horizon Power also worked closely with the meter supplier Landis+Gyr to develop new meter firmware to provide the required prepayment functionality.
- The firmware provides the capability for Horizon Power to convert the meter from prepayment to post-payment billing over the Itron meter network. This means that Horizon Power no longer has to physically visit the premises to reprogram the meter if a customer requests to move between prepayment and post-payment billing, as they are entitled to do.