Smartphone Scanning Streamlines Store Operations and Increases Productivity
Colruyt wanted to invest in its digital future by creating ‘informed and connected store associates,’ and evolve into a future-ready technology platform.
They decided to replace the shared dedicated scanning devices with personal consumer devices that would be easy for store staff to operate and always stay connected. The company explored smartphones with fast, camera-based scanning that supported processes used in existing dedicated devices.
To support their plan of providing employees with a smartphone-based data capture solution, Colruyt wanted a partner that:
- Offered superior software-based barcode scanning.
- Shared their vision for a platform to support future innovation.
- Was easy to integrate with its suite of apps, and supported diverse frameworks and mobile architectures.
Colruyt, Belgium’s largest retail conglomerate, is an innovator in deploying store operations technology across its supermarkets.
The company partnered with Samsung to provide employees with a company-owned business-only (COBO) Galaxy XCover 4S smartphone, powered by Scandit’s barcode scanning solution.
In a pilot conducted with 700 Scandit-powered smartphones, Colruyt found that Scandit’s barcode scanner was fast, cost-effective, and easy to integrate into their suite of apps, offering high-performance scanning of 1D and 2D (QR codes) barcodes.
Colruyt selected Scandit, as the solution that surpassed competitors on various parameters including:
- One device, multiple store tasks: Staff use Scandit-powered smartphones for numerous store operations.
- Innovation: Future-ready innovation platform with enterprise-grade barcode scanning, plus additional capabilities based on computer vision technology.
- High-performance: Unparalleled scanning accuracy even in low light, glare, and damaged barcodes via durable Samsung smartphones.
- Ubiquity: Scandit’s extensive retail experience in helping large grocery enterprises transform and optimize operations in store.