Terex Materials Processing Takes the Lead in Telematics
- Analytics & Modeling - Process Analytics
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) - Cloud Databases
- Equipment & Machinery
- Field Services
- Cloud Planning, Design & Implementation Services
- Hardware Design & Engineering Services
Terex spotted a prime first-mover opportunity to add value to its offering and improve the customer experience by adding telematics capabilities to crushing and screening equipment.
Crushers and screeners are highly specialized, high-value machines. Ranging from 30-120 metric tons in weight, crushers are priced in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The equipment operates in harsh and often remote environments.
Machines must be set up properly for the specific job at hand and tuning requirements vary from site to site, as no two ores or rocks are ever identical.
Among other issues, failure to properly tune machines can result in the final, processed material not meeting the desired specification.
Terex Corporation is a global manufacturer of lifting and material processing products and services delivering lifecycle solutions that maximize customer return on investment. Major Terex brands include Terex, Genie, Powerscreen®, and Demag.
Terex solutions serve a broad range of industries, including construction, infrastructure, manufacturing, shipping, transportation, refining, energy, utilities, quarrying, and mining.
Terex engaged ORBCOMM and the two companies began an intensive 18-month process working closely together to define the project requirements and the technical scope.
The result of the extensive collaboration was a customized end-to-end telematics solution including:
- A cloud platform for data analytics and reporting, tailored by ORBCOMM to meet the specific requirements from Terex
- Robust tracking and monitoring hardware — devices, sensors, and antennas—integrating proprietary ORBCOMM and third-party technology
- 24/7 global connectivity over cellular and satellite via ORBCOMM’s own satellite network and alliances with top-tier terrestrial service providers
System users now have instant access to comprehensive global data on equipment location, start and stop times, fuel consumption, tonnages, cone settings, wear rates, operating hours, maintenance, service status and more.